Wednesday 23 July 2008

Rotary Club of Shetland (Visit No 16)


Its Wednesday afternoon and I have landed at Sumburgh Airport on Shetland I am met by Rotarian Donald MacKinnon who became my tour guide for the rest of the afternoon, once again my sincere thanks to Donald for his attentiveness and hospitality. It was wonderful to be back on the island and to get a chance this time to see a great deal. My last visit was 1969 as a young trainee salesman, the visit was then, and is still a blur from sampling the bountiful hospitality of many, I will leave the rest to your imagination. The welcome this time was even better and made me feel proud to be a Rotarian. After a great afternoons tour I was welcomed by President Elect Silvija Crook in the absence of President Harry who was in hospital in Aberdeen (I wish him well). After a very nice meal I delivered my address to a very attentive audience. Although they are some what distanced from us in many ways the Rotarian's of Shetland have indeed got much to offer, I look forward to working with them over the next year.

(The picture shows yours truly, President Elect Silvija and Donald MacKinnon)